Dogs are one of the cutest pet animals in the world. To have a pet dog at home is to have happiness jumping all around. Lovable and adorable, this pet animal can melt your heart in seconds. Their loyalty and friendly nature are their redeeming qualities, and their enthusiasm constantly keeps us on our positive toes.
Here are some interesting facts about dogs
1. Research suggest that dogs descended from a species known as Tomarctus
A creature that was found on our planet over 15 million years ago
2. The origin of domestic dogs began with domestication of wolf, ten and thousands of years ago
It was a give and take relation. Humans provided food and shelter and wolves provided protection and fur. Wolves were also their hunting companions.
3. Many dog breeds that exist today are man made and not natural
This is done through years of selective breeding. New dog breeds are created either accidentally or purposely, with the help of existing breeds. These dog breeds have characteristics that are suitable to human needs.
4. Wolves and dogs can mate
This results to fertile offspring
5. Dog urine has the ability to corrode metal
The acids present in their urine can corrode metal. Dogs urinating on lampposts can be risky.
6. Baboons also keep dogs as their pet animals
It is believed that a troop of Hamadryas baboons near Taif, Saudi Arabia, keep dogs as their pet animals. Baboons kidnap puppies and enjoy a symbiotic relationship. However, this fact is still under debate.
Dogs have 17,000 taste buds whereas humans have 9,000. Also, their sense of smell is 10,000 – 1,00,000 more accurate than humans.
8. Dogs have better night vision/ low-light vision than humans
This is because they have a special light-reflecting layer behind their retina
9. Their nose prints are as accurate as human fingerprints
A dog nose print can be used to accurately identify them.
10. Dogs dream too
They have the same brain wave pattern as humans while they are asleep, this gives them the ability to dream just like humans. Small dog like toy poodle dream once in 10 minutes and big dog like great den dream after an hours gap.
11. Dogs do fall in love
Paul Zak, a professor at Claremont Graduate University in California, found that a dog’s brain releases oxytocin – love hormone when it interacts with humans and dogs.
12. Dogs sweat only through the pads of their paws
Rest of their body doesn’t sweat and their average body temperature is hotter than humans. Dogs use scent glands on their paws to mark their territory.
13. Dogs don’t like hugs
In the canine world, putting a limb over other animal is a sign of dominance.
14. Puppies are born toothless, blind and deaf
The first sense they develop is touch
15. Laika a soviet space dog, became the first animal to live in space in the year 1957
This was done with the help of an earth satellite. Laika, was also the first animal to orbit the earth.
16. There is a building in New Zealand that is dog shaped
There is also a sheep shaped building along with dog in Tirau, New Zealand.
17. A Day In The Life – A song by Beatles has a whistle exclusively for dogs
Paul McCartney recorded a high-pitched whistle for his sheepdog. This whistle is at the end of the song and is only audible to dogs.
18. Dogs can be as smart as a 2 year old human baby
They understand over 250 words and gestures, count up to 5 and perform simple mathematical calculations.
Smartest dog breeds are poodles, German shepherds, golden retrievers and dobermans.
Dogs bring a new meaning to our life. We explore things about ourself that we never knew existed. Their loyalty, love and faith within us makes us want to be a better person every day.
“The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants.” ― Johnny Depp